Thursday, April 1, 2010

Prayer

Prayer. It's talking to God. A lot of times when I think of prayer, I think of only the"bending the knee by the bedside" kind of praying. But you know, prayer is also when you're taking a walk outside, and telling God about some of your struggles or problems you've had. I know for me personally, the best prayer times I have are when I go for a long walk by myself, or when I'm out hunting. I don't know if it's something about the outdoors or what, but usually I can just let go and talk freely to God. My prayer life could definitely be a lot better than it is though. I mean, when you are trying to get to know someone real well, you talk to them a lot, and learn as much as you can about them from other sources. Take my best friend, for example. I wouldn't only talk to that person when I needed help, or when things weren't going how I wanted. I'd be telling them everything that's going on in my life. I may also praise or thank my friend for something that they did. It's a genuine friendship, and that's how it should be with Jesus. Of course there are differences. But the main structure and thought is the same. I really need to work on that. Jesus is supposed to be my best friend, and sometimes I don't think I give Him that place in my life. I know it's something I'll be working on though :D

On a side note, another important ingredient to a close relationship with Christ, is to be in His Word. I recently just finished reading the book of Proverbs, and though it doesn't have a lot to say about Jesus, there sure is a lot to be learned from the wisdom in that book. It's surprising how many things are applicable to are life now.

I would go on, but I have a little brother "calling" me from his crib :P Justin is doing exccellent by the way. Hopefully soon we'll be able to bring him to church!

God Bless you all, and have a good rest of the week!

Kevin! :D

9 comments:

Jenna said...

I find that my deepest thoughts, gratitude and requests are offered to the Lord through prayer, when I'm outside as well...

Over the last few months, prayer has really become a big part of my life (though there's still lots of room for improvement). I just realized one day how SPECIAL it is that I can commun with my Lord and Savior all day - every day!

Glad that Justin is doing so well - how cute that he calls from his crib:) Little siblings are the best!

Lexi said...

Thanks for sharing that Kevin! I know I need to be talking to God more and this really encouraged me this morning!

Have a blessed Easter!

Lexi

Levi Bendixen said...

Great thoughts there. I need to apply them too!

Bethany said...

That's very true, for it is not often that my prayers come from my bedside. Usually they come when I'm by myself, driving, hunting, doing chores, etc.

It's always great to hear updates on Jusin! Praise God he is doing so well.

Camden said...

You know, I don't know many people who would say that their prayer life couldn't use improvement. The fact of the matter is, the Bible tells us to "pray without ceasing" (1 Thes. 5:17), something that takes a lot of practice.

Like a good friend, Jesus is there for our prayers, praise, and even to just sit silently with us like a good friend.

Camden

Psalm 46:10

"Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!"

Hannahbanana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hannahbanana said...

Kevin!!!
good thoughts! I always like to go outside into the woods and find a quiet spot, and talk to God. :D
I know my prayer life could be much more improved though.
thanks for sharing! :D
God bless you Kevin!

Hannah.

Hannahbanana said...

Awesome header Kevin!! :D

Elizabeth said...

I agree with Jenna. I used to alway think and ponder while outside tending to our pygmy goats. It is so peaceful in the green grass, and I would sometimes stay out so long Mommy wondered where I was!

Post a Comment