Wednesday, February 4, 2009

My Average Morning

My family shares a dairy cow with our neighbors, and we milk it every morning. I milk on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. My sisters Amy (13) and Katie (12), milk together on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Since my brother Ryan works during the week, he only milks on Saturday. Anyways, here is what my typical mornings are like. It varies slightly from day to day.




Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday (My days to milk)




11: 25 p.m. - 5:25 a.m.: zzzzzzzzzzzzzz


5:25 a.m.: Alarm goes off. My mind is clouded from sleep, and I wonder why I set my alarm. Push snooze button and roll over..


5:30 a.m.: Alarm goes off again. I turn alarm off, climb out of bed, and start getting ready to go.


5:35 a.m.: I can only find one glove. Frustration. Finally, I find a different pair.


5:37 a.m.: Open the garage door, and start the van (and make sure Ryan’s car is not parked behind me :)


5:40 - 5:50 a.m.: I arrive at the Garno’s home, still half asleep, and definitely not ready to start milking. I walk inside, and start getting ready anyway (No, the cow is not in the house!). Mrs. Garno walks into the kitchen. She greets me with a cheerful good morning, and I sleepily answer back. She probably wonders how it can possibly take me so long to get ready to milk. All I have to do is grab the milker (that is what we milk into), and fill up a small pail with warm, soapy water. What I’m really doing is savoring my few moments of warmth in their house;)


5:51 - 6:10 a.m.: I clean up the manure (obviously the most fun part), and give Daisy some grain and hay. Then I lock her in the stanchion, and start cleaning her teats off.


6:11 a.m.: I start milking. By now I’m wide awake. Nothing wakes you up like the smell of fresh manure.


6:20 a.m.: I finish milking and unlock the cow from the stanchion. I grab the milk, turn off the lights in the barn, and, after I give the steer some milk, I start walking back toward the Garno’s home


6:30 a.m.: I begin to strain the milk into gallon jugs, and end up getting about a 1 ¾ gallons. I wash the milker, grab our milk, and drive home.


6:55 a.m.: I put the milk in the fridge, grab the coffee beans out of the freezer and start making a pot of coffee. Then I walk back out into the garage, and start chopping kindling.


7:10 a.m.: The fire is blazing by now (I hope anyway ;) and I pour myself a cup of coffee. Then I sit in front of the fire and start doing school.




Monday, Wednesday, Friday (My sisters’ days to milk:)




11:30 p.m. - 6:30 a.m.: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz


6:32 a.m.: ring, ring, ring, ring (phone). Again, my mind is clouded from sleep. I look at the ceiling (projection clock) and think I don’t have to get up until my alarm goes off. I turn over. zzzzzzzzzzzzz


6:33 a.m.: ring, ring, ring, ri… I manage to jump out of bed, climb down the ladder (I sleep in a bunk bed), and answer the phone in time. My sisters want me to come pick them up (my dad drives them over there in the morning when he leaves for work). I get a tip from Amy that Ryan’s car is parked behind the van.


6:35 a.m.: I move Ryan’s car out of the way. Then I start the van and drive to the Garno’s.


6:45 a.m.: I’m still waiting for the girls. I’m freezing because the van’s engine isn’t warm enough to produce heat. Temperature: 9* F.


6:47 a.m.: Finally the van starts to heat up. Amy opens the door. She starts putting her stuff in the van. I tell her to hurry up, because all the heat was escaping. Next, I tell her that it’s not right to get a guy out of his warm bed, on a freezing cold morning, and then make him wait forever. She says I didn’t have to wait very long, and I’m too tired to argue.


6:49 a.m.: Katie climbs in the van. I drive home.


6:55 a.m.: Katie grabs the coffee beans out of the freezer and starts making a pot of coffee for me (what a nice sister!!). Then I go into the garage, and start chopping kindling.


7:10 a.m.: Amy and Katie are in bed. The fire is not blazing (not the best fire ever :( but I pour myself a cup of coffee anyway. Then I sit in front of the fire and start doing school.


7:45 a.m.: I make myself some breakfast, and do more school.


8:30 a.m. – 11:30 p.m.: Different everyday!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, that is really funny, Kevin!

I feel like I know you now. :)

J.J.

Jenna said...

Do you like milking? We milk our goats by hand (for right now) and I have really enjoyed it!!
I do my school by the fire too. It is so warm!!! Actually, to tell the truth, I don't stray far from the fire in the winter. It has kind of become a family joke now:)

Thanks for sharing what your morning is like - it's fun to "see" what others do~
Oh, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who get's up early!!

Your sister in Christ,
Jenna

Bethany said...

That's funny! I love it though, 'cause that's how I feel when I wake up to milk at 4:30. I am so glad though for those few winter months that I get off since we only milk between Feb. and Nov. I will be starting up in a few days again and I suppose I am looking forward to it again. :) Thankfully we have a milker, we will be milking almost 20 does!!! We have a heifer that will freshen around the middle of March and I will be milking her too.
So you hand milk then? Do you enjoy it? There is one plus about milking in the winter.....your hands warm up on the teats. :)

~Bethany~

Anonymous said...

Kevin,

I never knew that you're mornings were so intersting. Thanks for sharing. :D

Maiden Princess

Rachel said...

That is very neat to read about what your mornings are like. Oh...the manure would wake you up! Sorry for writing that. ;)

Wow! 9 degrees! That is cold! And I think forty something degrees in CA is cold.

Kevin Wegner said...

Actually, I do enjoy milking. The only thing I don't like about it is the freezing cold. I don't mind being out in the cold, but with bare hands? Sometimes they get so cold.

Bethany: We used to use a pump milker to milk our cow, but that wasn't working out to well, so we switched to hand-milking. I like it better.

Ryan said...

Actually Kev used to milk with a milker until I enlightened him to the fact that he was cheating.lol

Now me, I've milked by hand from the very start.(to tell the truth though it was because we couldn't afford a milker :)

Ryan

Hannahbanana said...

A very funny story!
On you're every day life, Kevin!

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Easily I acquiesce in but I think the collection should prepare more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://seghan.ru/go.php?sid=2][img]http://banners.servized.com/current/gif/ed_720x90_1.gif[/img][/url]

[url=http://old-drugstore.net/]What is/are Zovirax Tablets?[/url]
What are acyclovir tablets or capsules?
ACYCLOVIR (Zovirax®) treats certain types of viral infections, specifically herpes infections. Acyclovir
intent not mend herpes infections; it see fit relieve the sores restore faster and expropriate to mitigate the pain or discomfort.
Sometimes acyclovir is given to helper bar the infection from coming back. Acyclovir also treats shingles
and chickenpox infections. Generic acyclovir tablets and capsules are available.

What should I ascertain my fitness heedfulness provider in front of I crook this medicine?
They needfulness to recollect if you have any of these conditions:

•dehydration
•neurological infection
•kidney murrain
•seizures (convulsions)
•an bizarre or allergic reaction to acyclovir, ganciclovir, valacyclovir, valganciclovir, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
•significant or trying to receive gravid
•breast-feeding



[url=http://best-drugstore.aoaoaxxx.ru/][img]http://i079.radikal.ru/0910/b9/3f666eb40896.jpg[/img][/url]
























[url= ]buying Zovirax without a prescriptionZovirax perscription on line [/url]
Zovirax buy fedexZovirax cod shipping
[url= ]overnight Zoviraxcod Zovirax for saturday [/url]
Zovirax free consultationbuy Zovirax without a prescription online
[url= ]Zovirax xr onlineZovirax on line cash on delivery [/url]
buy Zovirax online consultation uscash on delivery online prescriptions Zovirax
[url= ]Zovirax overnight fedexZovirax pharmacy cod saturday delivery [/url]
Zovirax without prescription overnight shippingorder Zovirax without prescription from us pharmacy
[url= ]buy Zovirax with codZovirax cod no script [/url]
uy Zovirax for cash on deliverypharmacy Zovirax no prescrption
[url= ]Zovirax online overnight delivery codonline us pharmacy Zovirax [/url]
Zovirax cheap no membershipprescription Zovirax cod
[url= ]where can i buy Zovirax no prescriptionZovirax free overnight fedex delivery [/url]
Zovirax no rx codZovirax without rx
[url= ]Zovirax free shippingno prescription required for Zovirax [/url]
non prescription cheap ZoviraxZovirax discount fedex no prescription
[url= ]Zovirax cod saturday deliveryZovirax without a prescription or doctor [/url]
purchase Zovirax uk deliverybuy Zovirax without rx
[url= ]Zovirax deliver to uk fed ex overnightZovirax cash delivery [/url]
buy Zovirax online codZovirax no script required express delivery

Post a Comment