Friday, February 20, 2009

Seperation From The World

Staying unstained from the world. It’s something I often think about. The Bible says in 1 John 2:15-17 “Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.”


Now, it can be taken to an extreme. Obviously you cannot be completely separated from this world, because it is where we live. What I’m talking about is the sinful things of the world. Not even necessarily going to places that are sinful, but going somewhere where you are purposely putting temptation before you. I know, you can’t go shopping in a grocery store without facing some temptation (and I’m not talking about buying too many boxes of donuts!). But should we go somewhere that we know will cause us to stumble? For example, I’m not going to go somewhere where no matter where I look, I am constantly being tempted to lust after a woman. It seems to me that going somewhere like that would just be setting myself up to sin. Can you go somewhere like that and not sin? Probably, if you look at the ground the whole time. But chances are, you are going to slip. Why would you purposely put yourself in the way of temptation? Isn’t it unwise? I know, I know, the Bible says in 1 Corinthians 10:13 “There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.”. Like I said before, is it possible to not sin when you are tempted? Yes, there is always a way of escape. But why, seriously, why as a Christian who is striving to serve the Lord, would you purposely put temptation to sin in front of you? It’s not logical. For example, if you’re on a diet, you just don’t go into a donut shop. Ok, that’s not the best example ever, but try and get what I’m saying. Exactly what am I saying? Good question! No, seriously, if you want to keep yourself free from the stain of this world, you must guard yourself against it. Flee from temptation!


“Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” Philippians 4:8


In Christ,

Kevin

9 comments:

Bethany said...

Those are wonderful thoughts! I have been facing a few temptations lately and this post is very encouraging. Thank you!

~Bethany~

Rachel said...

I am glad you posted about this, Kevin, because this world is so full of bad stuff and sadly, is getting worse. We need to stay armored with God's Word on our hearts and go through those verses everyday. We as believers need to be on guard, especially young people today. Josh and I go to a community college, and it is so, so sad to see the young people dress the way they do and all that. Wake up everyone! I just want to say that to them. Anyway, we as sisters in Christ need to make sure we are aware of our brothers in Christ and keep our focus on Him alone and pray for them.

My mom painted Phil. 4:4-9 around my room and what great verses they are! May God be praised every, every day and be our main focus! :)

God bless, brother.

In Him Alone,
Rachel M.

Josh said...

What a great post Kevin! You approached and dealt with this issue with so much insight. I was so encouraged that a young man my age was so forthright and challenging with this subject.
God Bless,
Josh

Jenna said...

I completely agree with Rachel. It is so sad to see how young people (and older people) dress and act. We all need to be on guard. Let's be aware of one another and dress and act as unto the Lord and the glory of Him.
We as Christians need to be a good testimony to others out in the world...by actions...attitude...clothing...I pray that all I do is for the Lord.

In Him,
Jenna

Anonymous said...

Totally unrelated to your post, how did your first day at work go?

Just wondering,
Maiden Princess

Anonymous said...

great post!! This world is full of bad things, and like Rachel said, it is not getting any better. As Christians, we all need to be praying.

Bethany said...

Hey, I tagged you!

~Bethany~

Rachel said...

That is very true, Kevin
I like the example, of the dieting thing, it was good!
I'm being serious, by the way! ;)
Thank you for posting,
These are some very good words.
Rachel :)

Josh said...

Hey Kevin!
Thanks for following my blog! I hope that You are encouraged by it... God Bless,
Josh

Post a Comment